Editor's Note: See updated information below:
Shoreline firefighters quickly controlled an apartment fire tonight, Friday, Nov. 9, in the 900 block of N 177th St. in the city's Richmond Highlands neighborhood.
The fire broke out on the second floor of the unit around 5 p.m. Shoreline firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the second story windows, said Shoreline Fire spokeswoman Melanie Granfors. Their quick work prevented the fire from spreading to adjacent units.
A young man in the apartment was able to escape with the assistance of a neighbor. He was not seriously injured but was taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation and is being held there for observation.
His mother told Patch fire investigtors told her, that a faulty charger for the phone or Nintendo left plugged in caused the fire.