The fire that destroyed three units at the Meadowbrook Apartments in Richmond Beach is believed to have been caused by an unattended 4-year-old playing with an open flame, according to King County fire investigators.
Displaced families in the Richmond Beach fire are being assisted by Seattle Red Cross and the Department of Social and Human Services. Families are staying with relatives in Seattle and in hotels. None of the three families affected had renters' insurance and nearly all of their belongings were destroyed. It's recommended that all renters have rental insurance.
The King County Housing Authority owns the property, which includes 29 units, but it is managed by Royal Property Managment owned by Richmond Beach resident Harley O'Neil, who also owns the Spin Alley Bowling Alley.
The residents whose apartments were not affected have moved back into the building.
If you want to help the families that were displaced with clothing, bedding, tolietries or gift cards, please call Royal Property Management at 206-546-1000. O'Neil said he's hoping someone can set up a bank account to help the families as well.
The cause of a fire in Shoreline on Friday evening has also been ruled accidental.
On Friday night, Nov. 9, a room and contents caught fire in an apartment at N 177th St. when a charging transformer that was plugged into an electric outlet caught fire.