It’s that time of year again and many of us have getting fit, eating better and losing weight on our New Year’s resolution list again. Gyms and Fitness Centers see a huge increase in new memberships when January rolls around but deciding on a gym can seem daunting. Where do I sign up? Will I actually go? How do I know if I am getting a good deal? These are just a few of the questions people ask themselves. Besides money, here are a few other important factors to consider: where your friends work out (much likely to go with a buddy), close to home or work, and the facility having the types of equipment and atmosphere you like. I’ve done some online research on local gyms rates and specials to save you time in your search.
- on Ballinger Way. The monthly rate for one club is $26.99/month but if you’d like access to other 24 Hour Fitness facilities, you pay a monthly fee of $34.99. The online membership agent assured me that there was no separate membership fee to join until January 11, 2012. http://www.24hourfitness.com/FindClubDetail.do?clubid=403 Costco also offers a two-year membership for $319.99 on the Costo.com site.
- in Shoreline. An adult membership (26-64) is $60/month with a $100 joining fee. A family membership (2 adults w/ dependent children) is $99/month with a $125 joining fee. A single family (1 adult w/ dependent children) is $78/month with a $100 joining fee. http://www.seattleymca.org/Locations/DaleTurner/Pages/Join.aspx
- Mieko’s in Edmonds. Now part of the Vision Quest Sports and Fitness group, Mieko’s offers a current special of $19.99/month with a $30 processing fee. A more inclusive membership with group classes and several personal training sessions is $29.99/month with the same processing fee. http://visionquestsportandfitness.com/new-edmonds-options-c952.php
- in Lake Forest Park. They have several different membership options. The first is an all-inclusive club adult membership for $19.99/month plus a $40 membership fee (which is billed shortly after June 1st). Another option is a no extra package for $10/month with a $10 activation fee. http://www.planetfitness.com/gyms/WA/Lake_Forest_Park
- in Shoreline. If you aren’t sure you are ready to commit to a contract, their drop in option is affordable. They have a small workout room with machines and weights. Non-Residents pay $3.00 per visit and Residents pay $2.00 per visit. Youth only pay $1.00 per visit (resident and non-resident). http://www.cityofshoreline.com/index.aspx?page=138